Walking Tour

45-Minute Walking Tour of Historical Downtown American Fork: June 2005 by Tyler Bahoravitch
This walking tour (PDF) begins and ends at Robinson Park.

* Indicates buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

1st Stop: Robinson Park
  • Southwest corner of 100 East and Main Street
Six points of interest are found in Robinson Park:
  • Fort Wall Memorial: This Daughters of Utah Pioneers Marker has a statue representing Edward Robinson standing on top of a rock pedestal. The monument stands where the south wall of the 1853 Lake City Fort was located. Read the plaques on the monument for more information. (The bell that once was on this pedestal has been relocated to the bell tower on the restored City Hall) View our 1,962 pictures (PDF) of the Fort Wall.
  • Monument to Sergeant Cory Wride: Next to the playground is a monument to remember a Utah County Sheriff raised in American Fork who was killed in the line of duty in 2014.
  • Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum: The museum collection consists of pioneer and early community artifacts. Written histories of early residents are available. See museum hours listed on the door.
  • Log Cabins: Part of the museum collection is the three log cabins built in American Fork at different times. The oldest cabin, built in 1854 is on the north side of the museum. The two other cabins were built in 1867 and 1880. They are surrounded by a buggy and wagon.
  • Monument to Free Schools: (Go to the north side of the park). This Daughters of Utah Pioneers Marker recognizes American Fork as the first town in Utah Territory in 1868 to establish free public education supported through tax dollars.
  • Freedom Tree: (Go east along Main Street). Captain Ralph Jim Chipman, fighter pilot for the U.S. Marine Corp was Missing In Action in 1972 during the Vietnam War. The tree was planted in his honor.
Walk 1 block west on the south side of Main Street.

2nd Stop: Old Bank of American Fork Building*
  • Northeast corner of Main Street and Center Street. View from across the street on south side of Main
Built in 1911, notice the architecture of the building, the neoclassical style with wall pilasters embellished at the tops. Notice the shallow entry portico with columns decorated in classical motifs. This bank served mostly sheep farmers and was also a gathering place for men to relax and discuss the issues of the day. This corner was the site of the original American Fork City Hall. This historic building was completely restored by the Bank of American Fork in 2015.

Walk 1 black west and turn south on 100 West, walk 1 block south and turn west on 100 South.

3rd Stop: American Fork LDS Second Ward Church*
  • 130 West 100 South
This building's original chapel section was built between 1903 and 1907 and cost $10,001. A large recreation hall was added in 1929. Notice the Gothic arch windows and the stair-step gable brick detail. Today the building is a private residence with part of it serving as a home and the rest devoted to the manufacture of custom organs. Occasional performances are held when testing a new organ.

Walk 1.5 blocks east and turn north on Center Street, walk 1.5 blocks north.

4th Stop: Veterans Memorial Hall*
  • 53 North Center Street
This building was constructed as a commercial building sometime before 1932. It was remodeled using government money in 1934 to honor World War I servicemen. It is also known as Legion Hall. The interior maintains most of its original look.

Walk south back to Main Street, walk 0.5 block east and turn north on Church Street, walk 0.5 block north.

5th Stop: Apollo Hall
  • 50 North Church Street; view from across the street, on west side of Church Street
Built in 1903, this building has a "spring" floor for dancing and will hold 300-350 couples. LDS Gold and Green Balls were held here for many years. The building was remodeled in the 1980s and the front extension of the building was added.

6th Stop: City Hall and City Hall Bell*
  • 31 North Church Street
Attractions include:
  • City Hall: Although the inside of the building has been remodeled several times, the outside looks much the same as it did when built in 1903. Notice the old stone foundation and arched entrances and windows.
  • City Hall Bell: The bell was purchased in December of 1888 for $211 and hung in a tower on the first City Hall at the northeast corner of Main and Center streets. In 1903, it was moved to the new City Hall where it remained until 1959. Charles Logic was paid $5 a year for his services, including bell ringing. The bell tolled slowly for a death, and a mellow tone calling all to worship. It was also rung for school, curfew, fires, and holidays. The city bell was moved to Robinson Park in 1959 and was placed on the Fort Wall. (stop number 1 on the tour) In 2006, the City Hall Bell was restored to City Hall in a newly constructed replica of the old belfry. See more information on the rededication of the City Hall (PDF) online.
7th Stop: Harrington School*
  • 51 N. Church Street
This building is actually 4 different buildings joined together to appear as 1. The "Science Hall" section was built in 1860, the south wing was built in 1903, the central portion was added in 1924, and in 1935, the remainder of the 75 year old building was torn down and the north wing was added. Notice the stone foundation, monochromatic brick finish, and arched doorways. Many children were taught in this school that was named for Leonard E. Harrington, the first Bishop and mayor of American Fork.

Cross the street at the crosswalk between the fire station and police/courts building. Walk east on 80 North, behind Apollo Hall, to 100 east, then south 50 feet.

8th Stop: Presbyterian Church*
  • 75 North 100 East
The Presbyterian ministry in American Fork began in 1877. Four years later this Gothic flavor church was built. The side-mounted belfry tower and entrance were rebuilt after lightning struck the upper section in 1952, and a stainless steel cross replaced the original weathervane. In 1975, the interior was restored and the original clear window glass was replaced by stained glass. Notice the arched entry and pointed arch windows. New stain glass windows have been added to the church in 2010 and 2013.

Walk south, cross Main Street, cross 100 East to the Tabernacle.

9th Stop: Alpine Tabernacle*
  • 110 East Main Street
The Alpine Tabernacle is owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The cornerstone was laid in 1909 and the building was completed in 1914. Notice the symmetry and balance of the Doric columns set within recessed porticos at the entrances. The auditorium and cantilever balcony provide seating for 2000 people. The basement originally had a spring dance floor in the recreation hall, a baptismal font, kitchen and classrooms. A large pipe organ was installed in 1923. In recent years the basement has been remodeled for a new baptismal font, a family history center, and office space.

Cross the street and you're back to Robinson Park where you started!

Note: Additional Historic Places in American Fork to visit by car.
  • Pioneer Cemetery: Daughters of Utah Pioneer Marker at NW corner of 300 N. 100 E.
  • Log Cabin Grist Mill: Sons of Utah Pioneer Monument at 300 South Center Street
  • Historic Rock Wall*: American Fork City Cemetery 75 E. 600 N. Also, Historical Plaques near tall monument NW part of Cemetery.
  • Sons of Utah Pioneers Monument 45 E. 200 N.
  • Star Roller Mills: Flour Mill built in 1888, 125 E. 600 N.